Finding The Perfect Home For Tenants in Southland

Find Your Next Home With Us

Below are some of the services that Rent South can provide:

  • Guide you through the tenancy application process.
  • Respond and assist quickly to resolve any problems that you may have.
  • Follow up and ongoing communication for the duration of the tenancy.
  • 24/7 phone access for urgent repairs and speedy response to any maintenance.
  • Provide you with details on how to get your power, phone and other services connected in one easy step without paying a power bond, plus other discounts.

When it comes to tenancies, there are often many questions that we get asked frequently. Below are some common questions that might save you a phone call.

Tenant FAQs

How do I arrange to view a property to rent?

When you have found a property you like, please call, text or email us or alternatively book in to view. We will make arrangements for you to view the property when it’s most convenient for all parties involved.

What are the costs for moving into a property with Rent South Ltd?

A bond equivalent to four weeks rent is collected at the start of the tenancy and held in trust with the bond centre.

Two weeks rent in advance is to be paid upon the start of your tenancy.

When will you need to access my property?

We conduct entry inspections, exit inspections, and other inspections throughout your tenancy. The frequency of the routine inspections is outlined in your tenancy agreement. You will always receive the required notice under the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 before we enter the home.

If maintenance or repair work is needed, we will need to arrange our contractors to access the property to do the necessary work. All repairs will be scheduled and communicated with you.

What should I do if I need some repairs or maintenance to be done at my property?

It is very important that you phone us immediately if you have any urgent repairs.  For non-urgent repairs and maintenance please email or contact us, it is a requirement under the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 that you notify us of any issues at the property.

Can I change the locks?

No, not without written consent from your landlord or your property manager.

What do I do when I want to vacate?

If you signed a periodic tenancy agreement and want to vacant, you must give 28 day’s written notice. Once we receive the notice, we will advise how you can get your bond refunded.

If you signed a fixed term tenancy you will need to contact your property manager to discuss the options of breaking a fixed term tenancy.

Do I need insurance?

We strongly recommend that you take out some personal insurance to protect your belongings at the property. The insurance may also provide you with liability cover should you or a visitor come and accidentally or carelessly cause damage to the property.

Am I allowed a pet?

Pets may or may not be permitted; there is no set precedent. You will need to ask or refer to your tenancy agreement terms and conditions.

Can I remove a smoke alarm?

Tenants must not damage, remove, or disconnect a smoke alarm. You are responsible for replacing dead batteries during the tenancy if they are older-style smoke alarms with replaceable batteries. A requirement is to let the landlord know if there are any problems with the smoke alarms as soon as possible.

The link to Tenancy Services is a great hub for anything to do with renting:

Rubbish Collection Services:

Get your home services connected in one easy phone call for free:
Fast Connect